Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The New Testament is about a mystic

           
live and let live . . .

When The Two Agreements was published, I was not surprised that many people viewed it as proof of my heresy; people had seen me as such ever since I left the church and began living life as a mystic. Though, to clarify, a mystic is simply one who goes to The Source for guidance and belief. And in that respect, everyone practicing contemplation, meditation, and prayer are mystics. I describe them as practical mystics.

There is nothing particularly unique about my story--most "spiritual but not religious" (SBNR) people have been judged, even shunned, by those who follow the tenants of organized religion. For centuries, religious institutions have claimed to be the moral compass, guiding society to the high road, and anyone who does not follow their rituals is less-than in the eyes of the Creator. "Your actions speak so loud," I have heard from more than one righteous churchgoer, "I can't hear a word you're saying." This statement is a way of expressing judgment against those who do not "tow the party line" with regards to particular religion.

And indeed, religious organizations and their members have contributed a great deal of good to the world; it has never been my intention to imply otherwise. I simply make the point that they have not cornered the market on kindness, or spirituality, for that matter.

It my experience, SBNRs are often confused with atheists; however, this is not the case at all. Religious folks hear their "New Age" lingo --such as referring to the Universe as opposed to God--and think that it represents an absence of a belief system. (Please note that I am making no judgment about atheists or their views; I am simply pointing out the distinction between them and those who have foregone organized religion to walk their own spiritual path).

Indeed, the rules, regulation and judgment are the only things SBNRs have turned away from. Like me, they live their spirituality each and every day; they are motivated by a true passion for serving humanity, not because they are seeking a ticket to heaven.

This brings me back to a main point of The Two Agreements, which is that there is nothing we can do--or not do--to separate us from the Divine. This is so regardless of how we serve--be it in a church, a charitable organization, or simply by bringing the smile to another's face.

S.L. Brannon on DBSA Life Unlimited web site
http://bit.ly/1kEBzlZ
The Two Agreements fb page

http://bit.ly/the2agree

No comments:

Post a Comment